Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Meat in the Freezer

This morning I am grateful for meat in the freezer and meat waiting at the butcher's to be ground.  Joel spent 6 hours yesterday butchering 3 deer that we received from a friend.  My meat supply had all but run out, so I am thankful to have meat to choose from again.  I am also grateful for the hard work my husband puts in each year to provide for our family in this way.  He enjoys hunting with all his relatives in December, but it is also a lot of work.  I cannot imagine having to pay at the store for all of this good, healthy meat that we enjoy throughout the year.

It is also apparent that my children are growing up.  Everyone except Lucas went with Joel to "help" with the butchering for a few hours.  Most of the kids played, but Josiah was thrilled with the whole process and when I went to pick them all up for supper, he was showing me how he could run his hands along the loins of the deer.  Thankfully, I have come a long way and was able to watch him do that without gagging and even feign excitement!  He was also in tears when I told him he could not stay for the rest of the butchering.  Oh, and Lucas was all excited to see the deer hanging and wanted to pet its' ears.  Oh my. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment