Sunday, May 22, 2011

Happy Birthday Lucas!


Well, my baby is one year old today. What a year it has been! I've finally had a few weeks of Lucas sleeping through the night every night. It is hard to believe how little I have slept with this child. I don't know if my heart was just weak, or if there really were issues that he was dealing with. It certainly seemed as if he was uncomfortable when he wasn't sleeping all those nights. I never could put a finger on what was causing it all. For now, I am just grateful for some sleep!

He is, just in the past week, really started walking while holding on to things. When I try to get him to take a step towards me, he just smiles, plants his feet, and dives at me. He thinks it is great fun! Lucas only has one tooth, with a second one trying to poke its way through. He is very particular about the food that he eats and seems to be quite sensitive to how he is feeling (cold, hungry, tired, etc). In the past few weeks he has really started opening up to other people. He loves to be outside and will sit by the door and cry if his siblings go out. He also loves to play with the dog and it's funny to watch them together. He never stops squirming, and so seems to rarely sit in a lap. Instead, he seems to think everyone is a jungle gym to climb on. He loves to play peek-a-boo, to giggle and his smile lights up the room.

It is a weird feeling to have a baby and wonder if he might be your last one. I think I savored the moments with him more and mourned the passing of each stage a little bit. Lucas has been my most "needy" baby in terms of not sleeping, fussiness, and wanting to be held. As I reflect on the year, I think that I am glad that my fifth baby needed me so much because it required me to be with him amidst the busyness of my family's needs. Was it difficult at times? Yes. Was it worth it? Absolutely.

My dear Lucas. You truly have been a light (as your name means) in my life. I am so grateful that God chose to spare your life and add you to our family. I am excited to watch you grow this year. Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment